TIME TO REVISE



PRESENT PERFECT OR PAST SIMPLE


Fill in the present perfect simple or the past simple.
1. I a great film yesterday. (see)
2. a cheap laptop? (you ever buy)
3. Sue the flu last winter. (have)
4. A few days ago we to his uncle. (drive)
5. They the guitar for several years. (play)
6. He the bus to get there. (already take)
7. Last week my rabbit away. (run)
8. We our homework. (just/do)
9. to India? (she ever be)
10. I him last Monday. (meet)
11. She him yet. (not call)
12. I her since last Thursday. (not meet)
13. Bob well last night. (sleep)
14. I a letter from her two days ago. (get)
15. They in Germany. (already arrive)


Change these sentences to the passive voice (present, past simple, future simple):
1.-People speak Portuguese in Brazil.
2.-They renovated this restaurant in 2018.
3.-The staff cleans all the hotel rooms daily.
4.-We will deliver your order by the end of this week.
5.-We updated the company website last week.
6.-People see this beach as the most beautiful in the country.
7.-Our company will ship the products via express mail.
8.-The secretary assistant sent the emails.
9.-A famous author wrote the lyrics for our commercial song.
10.-The students prepare oral presentations for the final assessment.
 

FILL IN THE GAPS WITH A RELATIVE PRONOUN


Complete with relative pronouns and adverbs. Defining and Non defining relative clauses. Omit the relative when it is possible.
1.-I was on my way to the Odeon Cinema, ………… I wanted to meet my cousin Fred.
2.-A man crashed into a tree …………… was standing at the corner to Corn Street.
3.-Sam, ……….. car was badly damaged, was in shock.
4.-The boy ………….. is reading a mystery book is very superstitious.
5.-One day Jimmy, ………….. room is always an awful mess, decided to do some cleaning.
6.-Last July, ………….  we had our house-warming party, Mum invited our friend Peer.
7.-Peer, ……………  had never been to England before, was very excited.
8.-The man …………………. suitcases were very heavy had to take a taxi to the airport.
9.-I travelled to Melbourne, ………………… I have some friends.
10.-Peter, ………………. plays piano, is also learning to play the guitar.  
11.-My favourite tree, ……………… is in a nearby park, is now in blossom.
12.-The girl …………………….you met at the party is studying Law.
13.-The house ………………. they wanted to buy has already been sold.
14.-The day …………………. you finish your degree we will organize a party.
15.-Rachel, ……………. is coming over for Christmas, is my best friend at uni.  


Relative sentences. Rephrasing:
1.      I admired the stuntman. His part was so dangerous.
2.      We ate the cake. It was on the cupboard.
3.      She found the bag. It belonged to her.
4.      Can you see the car? Its door is scratched.
5.      You are the partner. I want to work with you.
6.      I couldn’t help the students. Their tests were a failure.
 

 
COMPARATIVE AND SUPERLATIVE 


Connectors. Choose the correct option. Two possibilities may be correct.  
1.-Don’t arrive late ……………. we can finish the project.   IN ORDER TO / SO THAT/ BECAUSE OF
2.-……….. the problem was difficult, we could solve it.  ALTHOUGH / HOWEVER/ EVEN THOUGH
3.-She spoke very well, …………. she was nervous. AS LONG AS / CONSIDERING THAT / DUE TO
4.-You can go home …….. you have finished. ONCE / AS LONG AS / IN SPITE OF
5.-……….. failing the test, she didn’t feel depressed. IN SPIT OF / ALTHOUGH / DESPITE

Connectors of contrast. Join sentences:
1.-He failed his driving test. He practised a lot. (ALTHOUGH / IN SPITE OF / HOWEVER)
2.-Marie has a great voice. She hates singing in public. (EVEN THOUGH / DESPITE / HOWEVER)
 




Complete with the correct modal verb:
1.-He ……………. attend the meeting, but I’m not sure.
2.-You ……………….. quit smoking. This is my advice.
3.-Workers …………………. smoke inside the building. It’s forbidden.
4.-You ………………….. prepare the presentation if you don’t have time. I’ll do it.
5.-We ………………….. finish our project for Monday. It’s the deadline.
6.-……………………… you pick up the children after school?
7.-……………… I come in?
8.-It ………………….. rain later today, but it is unlikely.



Change to the reported speech:
1.-I’ll send you a postcard tomorrow.  He said that ______________________________
2.-My assistants are preparing the documents now. She said that _______________________
3.-I don’t like this computer. He said that _______________________________
4.-They will probably visit our office next month. She said that _________________________
5.-I may arrive late today. He said that ___________________________________
6.-I arrived here yesterday. She said that __________________________________
7.-I’ll come and help you this afternoon. He said that ______________________________
8.-I can use this new computer programme. She said that _____________________________



Ask questions for these answers:
1-My brother is writing an email in his office.
2.-I met my boyfriend when I was working in London.
3.-No, I don’t like this book.
4.-He travels to Manchester twice a month.
5.-He started to work here a month ago.
6.-No, I have never bought a car.
7.-They have shipped products to my company for three years.
8.-Steve goes to work by bus.  
9.-Mary arrived late yesterday.
10.-He was reading the report when I arrived.


Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

0.-THE STORY BEHIND YOUR NAME

2. WRITING A POSTCARD

10. WRITING AND SPEAKING. JOB INTERVIEWS. MODAL VERBS FOR SUGGESTIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS